Full-Revs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life savers

+3
Bluecollarlove
DanHam
CraigB
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Life savers Empty Life savers

Post by CraigB Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Ok, i know what they are. But im thinking of booking mod 1 without doing a lesson, and im just woundering whats the exact sequence of checks i should be doing, or what will the insutructer be watching me for?

Just so that i can drill it into my head now and start saying it tomyself as im riding around lol.

I know when i did the CBT the guy told me a way to remember it but iv totaly forgot ^^

Cheer's Craig
CraigB
CraigB
Admin
Admin

http://www.full-revs.com

Back to top Go down

Life savers Empty Re: Life savers

Post by DanHam Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:01 pm

Well I think its like this, look left and then right when moving off
look over shoulder when changing direction or lanes,
when moving in and out of parked cars
and like if your coming to a junction on the left then before you pull to the left do a life saver then just another one before you turn,

and check your mirrors before you brake, indicate, slow down speed up etc...bla bla bla
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking Craig, but it's asking a lot

Rolling Eyes

Moving off: Mirror, signal, lifesaver (right shoulder only) and then manoeuvre.

Turning right: Mirror check. Signal right. Decelerate, get into Gear, lifesaver over right shoulder, manoeuvre into right turn. Signal off.

Turning left: Mirror check. Signal Left. Decelerate, get into Gear. Lifesaver over left shoulder before Manoeuvre into left turn. Signal off.

Roundabout: Panic!

Lol.
Bluecollarlove
Bluecollarlove

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:14 pm

you have to do so many life savers on your test/cbt that you spend half the time looking behind you lol

i will know for sure in 2 weeks, got first lesson then, soo ill post all the lifesavers malarke up lol
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:20 pm

That's it. Don't crane all the way around to see your rear exhausts either! Just to check the 2 metre blind spot which the mirrors don't cover!

It used to be normal for us to do riding on the roads before even getting CBT....took ages to get rid of those bad habits!
Bluecollarlove
Bluecollarlove

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 pm

lol ive heard some bad things lately, that guy that offered to take me on his ZZR1100, has been riding 20 odd years and has only just passed his test last September, he tried his test years ago and was failed on something stupid so he decided to ride without a licence and has got away with it all these years
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg J Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:59 pm

BTW, your not supposed to look behind when you do a lifesaver, only your blind spot.
I got told off for looking behind me, you will notice if you look behind, you have to turn your head loads, and it pulls the steering and you will wobble/ turn slightly.. and this is a potential fail.

So just check your blind spot, mirrors are for looking behind
Greg J
Greg J
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:01 pm

it only takes a slight twist of the head to see the blind spot lol, I will have to exagerate it on test like everything else
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 pm

one of the guys on 125ccsp.com gave me good tip, on the test move the mirrors so i have to move my head to be able to see in them.

That way the instucter will see me doing it because i actually have to move my head to see.
CraigB
CraigB
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluecollarlove Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:11 pm

DanHam wrote:lol ive heard some bad things lately, that guy that offered to take me on his ZZR1100, has been riding 20 odd years and has only just passed his test last September, he tried his test years ago and was failed on something stupid so he decided to ride without a licence and has got away with it all these years

Kawasaki riders are my least favourite of all those plastic Japanese trash bikes! Very Happy

I'd hate to think what happens to him when he gets caught. That's a prison sentence Sad

PS - have you seen the new breed of French police cameras? These are utterly frightening. They are so small they are impossible to notice on a car or a motorcycle. Technology is going to make it harder to ride without doing anything to suit the bill..
Bluecollarlove
Bluecollarlove

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhapsody Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Don't forget your lifesavers on roundabouts. These are the directions you look in depending on where you are exiting the roundabout.

Left turn - Left before entering, left before leaving.
Straight On - Left before entering, right before leaving.
Right turn - Left before entering, left before leaving.

Hope that helps. Roundabouts were the most confusing for me at first. Obviously you don't need this for module 1 but it helps to get into good habits so it comes naturally for the test.

That tip about the mirrors is a good one! Wish I'd thought of that before my test!
Rhapsody
Rhapsody
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:17 pm

thats a good tip that, I try and do all my life savers now to drill it into my head lol
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Benneyboy Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:45 am

DanHam wrote:thats a good tip that, I try and do all my life savers now to drill it into my head lol

best thing to do mate is not overwhelmed yourself cramming it all in practice it in bits bthen youre find it comes more easier and its more rewarding because you notice your doing it soon with out trying if you get me lol , if you cram it all in in one go your find yourself cocking right up
Benneyboy
Benneyboy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:09 am

your probably right, im just going to do the basic ones then leave the rest till lesson day lol
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 am

TBH, im already doing it. I just wanted to know what i should do, like "Mirror, signal, lifesaver"

Just so that i can say it to mysself and make sure im doing it everytime.

Being honest alot of the time ill forget to indercate when there seems to be no one around me ect....

Things like that.
CraigB
CraigB
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:15 am

ive just read that post one the 125 forum, im going to print it off and memorise them lol
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:17 am

Yer it was good, ill paste it here so everyone can see.

Here you go...

"You should make a life saver every time you need to alter your position, otherwise every time you are going to change direction.

So, if you are going along a road and you want to turn right, you would check your mirror, indicate, life saver then move over to the middle of the road. As you get to the junction, when it's clear to go you make a right hand life saver again before you peel off to the right into the junction.

If you are turning left, tis the same. Life saver over your left, then move over to the left. Just before you turn into the junction another life saver over your left shoulder then peel into the junction.

If you want to change lanes on a dual carriage way or something mirror, indicate, life saver then move over.

On a round about, same as the one above, life saver before you move lanes. The indicating is relative to the junction you are coming off at though rather than changing lanes on a round about unless it's one of those huge mofo's with a lot of lanes.

When you are stationary, say at a set of traffic lights, you should always do a double life saver (one over each shoulder) as the last thing before you move off. Something could have arrived along side you whilst stationary so you need to check that before you set off. This is even true is you are just going straight on

If you need to move out in the road to pass a parked car, life saver then move out. When you are past it, life saver again then move back in.

So, it sounds like you will spend more time looking over your shoulder doing life savers than anything else. Not really true though as it only takes a quick glance. There maybe more instances to do life savers but if you remember the 1st line of this post, that sorta covers it.

Another tip from me is to set the mirrors on the learner bike in the wrong place. This will mean that you 'have to' move your head to use your mirrors. If you are moving your head to look in the mirrors, the examiner will know that you are doing it.
When you pass, you can set them in the right place and just move your eyes but that won't help on test day, as it'll look like you aren't checking them

HTH Russ "
CraigB
CraigB
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 am

thats the one, try and get that guy on this forum, he seems to know what hes talking about
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:20 am

lol, iv already been banned/shouted at for "advertising" lol.

Iv i did that no dobd there monitoring my pm's because of it.
CraigB
CraigB
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 am

lol they're forum is huge, its not as if all 12,000 member are going to come on here and never use them again lol
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:24 am

Well my first account got banned from posting for a mounth, because i made a post and blatiently just said we want memebr's, heres the link type thing lol!

Then i got a snotty pm for saying on my new account "full-revs" get back to me on my forum because ill be checking it more oftern.

Which is true..... ok just a way to get members but never the less it was true lol.

He said i dont mind you advertising with the sig but im not having that.

It's all bullshit haha
CraigB
CraigB
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanHam Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:27 am

haha what a piss take, you should PM him asking, well how did you advertise your forum?
DanHam
DanHam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:30 am

not worth my time lol.
CraigB
CraigB
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PeeWee Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 am

Cheers for the post about roundabouts Rhapsody, I always seem to do to many, lol.
PeeWee
PeeWee
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhapsody Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Always better to do too many lifesavers than too few. Once you get into the habit they do come naturally. Although I am now getting lazy on lifesavers when pulling back in from ovetaking parked cars. I think those are the least useful.
Rhapsody
Rhapsody
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum